A flourishing, morally credible media is a vital component in
the maintenance of genuinely public talk, argument about common good.
-Rowan D. Williams
Who is MAN?
Founded in 2012, Media Action Network was created to spread awareness of social and environmental injustices of today. The cultural disconnect inherent in our society’s economic woes, environmental degradation, unethical business practices, and monied politics can seem insurmountable. We believe, however, that knowledge and access to information can spark change – change starting at the community level all the way to a global awakening.
We believe that knowledge is the catalyst of change. No longer can we sit idly by and hope that change will happen. We must use the tools of education to spread awareness and advocate for the chance we want. We can do this not by spreading rhetoric and pandering, but with the knowledge we possess. This collective was created as a way to do this. We provide an avenue for writers, artists, academics, activists and the curious to disseminate and receive knowledge with the goal of increasing awareness.
If a tree falls in the forest, and no one hears it – it does makes a sound. It’s just that no one knows about it.
The opportunity to be heard. Ever since the invention of the penny press, access to information has been integral to education, culture, government and business. Regardless of the message, media is the conduit. We focus on media because of the critical position it plays in our society today. MAN operates as a nonprofit because we feel media and information should not be created as a means for profit; it should be made for betterment of our community. It is an industry to help inform and educate the people.
To expand public awareness of social and environmental injustices, inspire independent thought, and produce media forms in collaboration with community members in order to create opportunity for positive collective action.
- Integrity Beyond Reproach. We will meet the highest ethical and professional standards in all of our organizational endeavors and, in doing so, we hold ourselves accountable to our mission and to the public.
- Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Media Action Network’s success depends on the active involvement of our community. We respect the opinions, needs, values and traditions of all communities and cultures, and we forge relationships based on mutual trust and understanding.
- Commitment to Diversity. We recognize that social understanding and change is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of individuals of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. We will recruit and mentor relationships from all walks to help formulate and obtain our goals.
- Education at Our Core. Media Action Network strives to foster social awareness, as well as a sense of solidarity and care with all who struggle for justice. We strive to disseminate understanding and knowledge though our projects and to accept responsibility as a leader in educational endeavors which advocate social and structural change.
MAN constantly works to promote the following goals:
- Inform the public on societal injustices occurring in the American and global community.
- Encourage public participation to fight against oppressive systems.
- Develop programs that promote equal opportunity and voice to all.
- Produce media tools to assist small budget nonprofit organizations spread their missions.